Curtiss P-5 'Superhawk'


The P-5 was a version of the P-1 that was powered by a turbosupercharged Curtiss D-12 engine.
The name 'Superhawk' was chosen by Curtiss, but never officially adopted by the firm or the Army.




Serial number 27-327 was the first of five P-5s constructed. She was assigned to
the Materiel Division at Wright Field and was destroyed on January 26th, 1929 when
the pilot, Julian B. Haddon bailed out near Carlisle, Ohio after the engine caught fire.


Project 914 Archives - Larger Image



Project 914 Archives - Larger Image



Bonner collection via Airailimages - Larger Image


Back to 'Other Curtiss Aircraft'



Image hosting by Flickr