P-40s at Peterson AAB, CO



From June of 1944 to April of 1945, the 268th Army Air Forces Base Unit, equipped primarily with the P-40N,
conducted fighter training operations out of Peterson Army Air Base in Colorado. The 268th AAFBU was at the
time attached to the 72nd Fighter Wing, which was also headquartered at Peterson.



Hawks on the Hunt...

A formation of P-40Ns passes along the 'Front Range' at Peterson Field, 1944.


Peterson Air and Space Museum - Larger Image



Mentors...

Staff and instructors from Peterson's fighter pilot training school, 1944.


Peterson Air and Space Museum - Larger Image



1st Lieutenant Comer W. Lynn, an instructor pilot with the fighter pilot training school... August, 1944.


Peterson Air and Space Museum - Larger Image



P-40N 44-7581 with Pike's Peak in the background...


Peterson Air and Space Museum - Larger Image



A closer look...


Peterson Air and Space Museum



P-40N 44-7369 leads a formation of P-40Ns out of Peterson.
This Hawk survives today and is currently part of the Cavanaugh Flight Museum's
collection. See more photos of this ship here, in the 'Survivors' section.


Peterson Air and Space Museum - Larger Image

Thanks to the folks at the 'Pete' Museum for their kind permission to present the above images here.
For more photos showing Peterson AAB during WWII, see this photo gallery on the museum's website.



Prop Change

Personnel of the 268th AAFBU install a new propeller on P-40N 44-7369, Fall 1944.


Project 914 Archives (S. Donacik collection) - Larger Image



A closer look...


Project 914 Archives (S. Donacik collection)


Back to 'USAAF'